Tuesday, January 19, 2010

From one mom to another


You gave birth to the most beautiful boy I have ever laid eyes on. I love the way he feels in my arms, the way his fingers wrap around mine, the way he makes a face when you touch his nose. I love his dark, soft hair and his baby skin. I love sitting next to his bedside or holding him in my arms, praying for him, telling him about his family and reading to him.

Tonight, you are visiting him at the hospital. You say that you are going to say goodbye to him. I hope that it is meaningful for you. I hope that you can hold him and tell him that you are doing the best thing for him. I hope that you squeeze his hand and kiss his cheeks. I hope you take a picture to remember him by. But most of all, I hope that you say goodbye.

Tomorrow you are supposed to pass physical custody to us. I don't know what you are feeling right now. I imagine that nothing sounds better than rocking the baby that you gave birth to all night long. I imagine that there is an overwhelming feeling, I imagine that you are wondering who will be raising him. I cannot put myself in your shoes. I have never been there.

But I am here. I am desperately waiting to hear how your goodbyes went. I am in love with the boy that you gave birth to. We named him Caleb Robert. He is already the center of attention in our family. He has met all four grandparents and has melted our hearts. I am here. I am at the place where I cannot wait until you sign those papers. I am in the place where I cannot wait to bring him home. To his home.

I was there. I stood beside him in the NICU. I rocked him, sang to him, prayed for him, read to him, talked to him. I was there. Please let me continue to be there for the rest of his life. Please.