Friday, March 18, 2011

Why I had to drink 1 day old coffee yesterday and no coffee today

I grew up thinking Lent was bad. It was something that Catholics did, and because I was not Catholic, I should not do it.

In the past few years, I have been experiencing the beauty of Lent. Every year, for 40 days, I can "do something" that will strengthen my faith, grow my knowledge of God, give something up in remembrance of what Jesus did on the cross, or simply use the 40 Days to be disciplined in my spiritual life.

This year, World Vision has set up series of stories and exercise to help people to engage with justice in scripture, with God's heart for justice and the disadvantaged. Each morning I have an email waiting for me with something to pray for, to do, read, or video to watch.

This week we learned about "worth-less-ness" through this story. We were challenged to give up something this week that would show "worth." We decided that we don't really think much about our food. We can easily run to the grocery store and get whatever we want, whenever we want.

The Plan......

On Sunday, when we received the email we decided that we would not spend any money on food until the following Sunday. NO MONEY on FOOD! NO MONEY ON DRINKS! And no, our cupboards were not  stocked full with fresh groceries on Sunday afternoon. We also decided that we could give up meat, because most people who are hungry don't have meat as an option:)

The results.....
  • We are using food in our house that we have forgotten about. Frozen veggies, pasta, rice, cans of soup, etc. 
  • We have saved money 
  • We realize how blessed and spoiled we are. We can get to the store whenever we want to get whatever we want. Do you know how many people around the world aren't able to do that? 
  • I find myself not wasting anything. I made coffee on Wednesday and did not drink the whole pot. When I woke up Thursday morning I knew that there was no coffee left and that I could not go to the store. I poured it out of the pot, put it the microwave and wham. Best coffee ever? Nope. It did the job, and I am learning to be grateful in everything. 
  • I have learned that I really can do without. So often, I think I "need" something and I am quickly reminded of those who live on $1 day or less. 
  • If we can live on less, and grocery shop less, and spend less, then we can give more. Simple math. We need to give more. How selfish of me to be upset that I had no coffee to brew this morning, (and won't until the very earliest Monday morning) and yet there are people around the world who are literally starving to death. Ok, you can have my morning coffee money!! Lord, give me an attitude of generosity! 

Other things you should know about this journey....
  • I have had some things given to me that I have consumed. On Wednesday my boss bought me lunch, today I had some coffee from my pastor, and tomorrow I have already paid for my meals at an all day scrap event. 
  • Lent is a beautiful thing and I am pretty sure I will celebrate it for the rest of my life.

No comments: