Saturday, March 12, 2011

My Heros (DUP continued)

On Sunday night, during the Detroit Urban Plunge, I met my heroes.

I walked into a single family home on Detroit's east side, immediately my nostrils were filled with the satisfying smells of soul food. Mmmmm soul food. They call it soul food because it is good for your soul, not your hips, you know:)

One woman, that's right folks, one woman spent the whole weekend prepping and making a huge soul food meal for 30 people (22 of those being bottomless pits, hungry college students). We had TONS of left overs. She gave some to us, and some to her family members.

The food was to die for. I have been saying that I want to make some good soul food so I can show the world  that I am a real black mamma, and boy oh boy, did this woman help to motivate me.

But that's not why she is my hero.

The woman on the far right is the glorious cook!   



I could have talked with these women all night long. Sadly we had to leave, otherwise I think I would have stayed the night.

The woman in the black sweater fostered 37 children and adopted four. The woman in the black and white shirt fostered over 50 children and adopted four, 2 of which were white. I enjoyed hearing their stories, their struggles with raising and parenting all of these children, their frustrations with a broken social system, stories about raising and adopting children of another race and listening to their advice.

I thought I came to Detroit to help the city. Perhaps to help students engage in the city, to lead them and to help them process. I never thought that I would meet my heroes in Detroit.

May I seek to have their heart for the children without families and without homes. May my heart break like theirs did and still does. May I seek justice for the broken system. May I always follow God's leading.

2 comments:

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

Your week in Detroit really changed you didn't it? I prayed it would. -Not in the least because I thought my dear friend needed changed! But because I knew that God had some awesome things to show you.

I love this post.

Krista said...

I love reading these posts about DUP! How awesome for you to meet women who can help you in your growth as a new mom of an adopted black son. Who better to understand?! Thanks for posting this. I know it takes a long time to write it out. Your readers are thankful!

--Krista