Tuesday, March 15, 2011

A different alarm clock (Some DUP Thoughts)

More on the Detroit Urban Plunge----

Let paint the scene for you, shall I? On Saturday we were worked hard. We were working on a house, doing all kinds of crazy things. Painting, sanding walls, sanding stairs, installing a kitchen island, cleaning out the garage, taking things to the dumpster, everything to get this house in living conditions. It was cold and wet. Students were tired. When we went back to the church we had dinner and studied Amos. I tried to remember how tired they were when I was teaching Amos and more than a few were falling asleep.

Most of us were exhausted.....and yet, somehow college students manage to stay up late, even when they are tired. Besides, we had church the next morning, but not until 11, and all we had to do was to get ready and to walk  into the next room. (We went to church in the building that we were staying at). We knew that there was a 9am service, but were told this was for the old folks, it was....how did they describe it? Quieter?

I was already awake by 9. I am so glad that I was, because I WILL NEVER GET THIS PICTURE OUT OF MY HEAD. All around my room were 10 girls who were sleeping on the floor. When the worship started in the church, it was like a fire alarm went off. The girls jumped up, wondering what the noise was, some said "make that noise stop." There was some comforting, assuring one another that worship only last a few minutes and it would be quiet soon.

All the while, I am laughing inside. And if you have ever been in an African American church, then you would have been laughing with me.

Because you would know that worship can easily easily go on for 2 or more hours and incredible levels of volume and energy.

You would know that these girls had no chance in going back to sleep.

And you would know that if this was the "quiet" service, they were in for a treat during the 11a service.

And they were. I think it might have been one of the best experiences for these suburban, non-African American students to be in an African American church. What a picture of heaven with the nations coming together.

And then.....I heard many of them were shocked at the "quietness" of their home churches the following Sunday. Yes, friends, me too.

No comments: