Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Race Race (More Thoughts on DUP)

Detroit Urban Plunge

One of the very first things we did with students when they arrived on Friday night was a "simulation." InterVarsity uses simulations during many of our trainings. We like to say that though the simulation is contrived, the feelings and emotions are real. Basically, we put students through some questions/experiences, etc to help them dig up some emotions that will help them know themselves better.

I know, it is confusing. And I a failing at communicating well.

At any rate, we did "The Race Race" simulation Sunday night. I was prepared, read over my notes, and have even done it before with students, but as always was surprised at how I responded, and how students responded.

Some of the questions we asked were....


  • When you were growing up, were most of the images in the textbooks people that looked like you? 




  • Can you make a reservation at a restaurant and not wonder if people of your race are welcomed and treated well there? 




  • Can you buy greeting cards with people that look like you and resemble your race? 




  • If you are stopped by the police, can you be sure that your race will not be counted against you? 




  • If you ask to see the person in charge, will it be someone of your race? 


These are literally just a handful that I chose from. I am always amazed at the backgrounds that students come from. I am amazed at how broken our world is and how people have dealt with hurt that  I will never experience.

The above questions are about race, but during this simulation we talked about gender and socio-economics. I was taken back about how deep of an issue gender is for me. I often push it to the back burner, but when some of the simulation questions were asked, it pierced my wounded heart.

I am so grateful for InterVarsity. I am grateful for not only their willingness to step into the trenches and hard areas of life, but to fight for reconciliation. I am so glad that I get to be part processing through that with students as they grapple with identity. I am even grateful for the way these issues pour salt into some of my wounds.

Not always fun.

Always worth it.

1 comment:

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

Very, very interesting. I can imagine I would have much to process in such a simulation.