Monday, April 25, 2011

How would you spend $30?

Let's just say you were given some extra cash. Somewhere between $30-$100. What would you do with this sum of money? You can spend it any way you want, even if it is paying bills.

Most likely, Jon and I would go out to dinner. Most likely we would go to Outback Steakhouse. We love going out to eat together, I love Outback and Jon loves me, therefore Outback it is. 

$30. Not much. A dinner for two. 

Picture a child in your life. A child between 9-14. Maybe your child, a niece or nephew, or child in the community. 

What if that child was sold into slavery for $30? I know. Gasp. How dare I bring your mind into this sick place.

I was SHOCKED to say the least when I found out that many people are trafficked for as little as $30. $30!!! Are you kidding me? That is the value of a life?

I think we need to make it personal. This is not something that happens solely in a far off land. It happens in our back yards. Literally. It happens in our neighborhoods as well as around the world. The ways that we desire "stuff," including clothes and technology lead to more and trafficking, especially using people for labor.

I wrestle with how to handle this situation. I want to fight for justice, I don't want to be someone that oppresses the poor, but I know that decisions I make every day aide in oppression. Lord have mercy on me. I DO THAT. I OPPRESS PEOPLE. I buy things made cheaply, I support companies that either enslave people or support others that enslave people.

Ignorance is not bliss. Oh how I wish it were. I would keep my mind from learning anything and running far far far away from evil.

Will you join me in stomping out human slavery? Today more people are enslaved that during the trans-atlantic slave trade. Will you mourn and grieve with me? Will you pray with me? Stop supporting stores that are not free trade or above free trade. (SO HARD).  Will you fight for justice, raise awareness, raise money and pray that Jesus bring His kindgom quick?

Oh Lord have mercy.

Oh Lord have mercy.

Oh Lord have mercy.

Those are about all the words I can seem to utter when I think about this horrible crime.

Check out these great resources:

World Vision
Not for Sale
Hagar International
Human Wrong
International Justice Mission

No comments: