Thursday, March 29, 2012

Sticks and Stones


 Sticks and stones, may break my bones, 
 but words will never hurt me. 
 Whoever coined that phrase was either a coward or not honest with himself. 

So let's just gather in, take a step back and be honest. 

Words hurt. 

Sometimes more than sticks. Much more than sticks. 

I would be doing my son a huge disservice if I let him believe that. 

I don't want him to throw words around aimlessly, like a wrecking ball. 

Words that hurt. 

Words that scar. 

Words that cause wounds. 

I don't want him to cause unnecessary brokenness in relationships. 

I want him to be a man that thinks carefully before he speaks. ( A lesson that he could teach his hard headed, stubborn, opinionated mamma.) 

I want him to choose words that build others up, even when he wants to tear them down. 

Words that give people and dignity. 

Words that speak truth. 

Words that encourage. 

Words that heal. 
.... It's your heart, not the dictionary, that gives meaning to your words. A good person produces good deeds and words season after season..... 

 Words are powerful; take them seriously. Words can be your salvation. Words can also be your damnation.

Matthew 12:34-37 (The Message) 

No comments: