Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Friends like that....

I had to do a little project for a friend. She is attending some training that will help her in ministry, grow her as a Christ follower, among many other things.

The assignment: Explain how I experience her when she is hurt, lonely, afraid, confident, jubilant and at rest. For an introspective introvert this is sooo fun, and easy. It is easy because a) She and I respond to things in very similar ways, and b) I am close enough to her, that I actually felt like I knew those answers well.


These days, miles separate us. We are literally on opposite ends of the country, but our friendship is as close as it was when we saw each other 15 times a day in college. I think about the days of college and how we saw each other...A L L  T H E   T I M E. I think about our obsession with nacho cheese and brownies. I think about how we worked in the dining all together....next to each other. I think about our adventures in my car, that was more like a pond. I think about the times we prayed, poured our hearts out, and were real. I think about the frustrating times. I think about how she was influential in putting the night together when Jon proposed.  How could I ever let my beloved friend  move across the country?

She gets me. I get her. A look is all we need. In the past year, we started writing letters. WOW! Thought we were close then....writing letters is so....intimate, especially for an introvert who pours her heart out on paper and then sends across the country. We have both shared so much of our life in these letters. I wait for the mail to be delivered and anticipate my next letter with great joy. Sometimes reading the letters I laugh out loud, I remember times together, I stop and pray, I get all mushy, and sometimes I cry over the hard stuff that we experience in life.

Back to the assignment.

What a joy to be asked to share my thoughts on how I have experienced her in those different situations. Part of it is hard, because we do live far apart.

What a joy to know that I am in a relationship that is close enough to not only be asked those questions, but to have good and solid answers to give as feedback.

What a joy to know that in the midst of my daily struggle with relationships ( I have NEVER been good with relationships...) I have one that is constant. One where we are holding each other up, and living life together.

Today I am blessed by the reminder that I love Krista dearly. One of the closest and best relationships I have ever had with anyone. 

I cherish deep relationships, especially this one.

And without further ado, a series of K&K photos:)











No comments: