Wednesday, September 22, 2010

But I deserve it

Jon and I went out a date this past weekend. This mission: Find a bridesmaid dress, and enjoy a meal together, sans Caleb. Mission Accomplished.

I found it. I found THE dress. Next mission: find THE shoes. I quickly ignored the voice that said, "Kristin you have black shoes at home. You don't need another pair." I replaced that inner voice with, I am in 2 weddings, and need new black shoes! I had even convinced Jon.

We were in the mall and something came over me. I wanted more, I needed more. We strolled by Bath and Body Works and suddenly I realized that we were running out of the wall flower refills. While in Bath and Body Works, I decided that their new perfume would be nice to have, Jon even like the smell. And what about the hand soap? Everyone needs handsoap.

Do you know that fall is here? Do you know that fall = pumpkin flavored coffee? Do you know that I love coffee and ALL things pumpkin flavored?

Success of the night= walking out of the mall, with ONLY the dress hand. I had purchased nothing else.

Not because I have extreme will power (those who have followed my weight loss struggle would know that).

Not even because we are working hard on saving every penny.

But because this phrase keeps popping in my head...... "I really like____________________, but I hate  slavery." For instance, "I really love coffee, but I hate slavery." I hate that people are bought and taken captive, and treated inhumanely so that I can enjoy things I buy things at the mall.

How much do I hate slavery? I say I hate it a lot. Right now...I am working on showing that I hate it through my wallet. I am trying to be conscious of the things I buy. I don't want my selfishness to be a reason for other people to be treated poorly. Do I give as much to ending modern day slavery as much as I spend at the mall?

Does this cross your mind as you shop? Do you think of the women and children who are paid little to nothing to sweat and labor over that "must have new outfit?"

I am looking for resources, as always to help with this process. Where can I find out about fair trade food and goods, including clothes, shoes and jewelery? What do you do?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this, Kristin. You are awesome! I'm proud of you. :)

--Krista

Anonymous said...

you did get a pumpkin coffee...