Sunday, September 9, 2007

Lots of cookies, wild hogs, 2 small groups, new discipleship = First week of real ministry:)

Finally the first week of actual ministry has happened. So far, up until this week, we have been busy advertising, giving away stuff and just being present on campus. Albion did not have their student organization fair, so it was hard for people to sign up for InterVarsity....but they did. And we received 20 names and did lots of followup. Follow-up including visiting each person where they lived and giving them cookies and inviting them to events.

This past week our small group Bible Studies had started. It was great. In my previous post, I mentioned the Monday night group, so I won't completely repeat myself. On Thursday, it is the one that I am co-leading with a sophomore. It is really great, because she will make a great leader someday, she just needs some training and confidence right now and I hope that this semester leading together, I can give her that. We had 2 new students on Thursday, one was a freshman, and one sophomore. The sophomore was a brand new christian and I am not sure where the freshman stands with the Lord. It was so exciting to hear the voice of the new christian. She soaked everything in like a sponge and was so excited to be learning about God.

Discipleship:--I am officially discipling 2 freshmen on a weekly basis. We met this week to get to know each other and decide if they wanted to be in a discipleship with me....and praise God they do. I am hoping to get some more freshmen involved and to truly invest in them this year. Jon and I are having the new Christian,(the one that came to the Thursday night small group) over for dinner on Monday. Pray for our conversation and that we would be pleasing to the Lord.

Last night, I had 8 students over to the house.....5 of which were new freshmen!!!! Woot, woot. (As a side note, for those of you who don't know why I am so excited for freshmen, let me enlighten you. 1) If you get freshmen in the beginning, they are with you for the next 4 years. 2) Freshmen are generally looking for a group to be a part of. Usually it is not a matter if they will join a group, but what group will it be. For that reason, we have lots of social events to invite students too. 3) Freshmen, for the first time are away from home--away from high school friends and influences, away from parents, starting anew. We would love to be a part of influencing their desicion making). And back on to last night. We had spaghetti, and more chocolate chip cookies, watched "Wild Hogs" and played Apples to Apples. It was a great night of fellowship and it was fun to get to know people a little better. And it is great to have people over to fill my night. Generally on a Saturday night I am home by myself. Jon doesn't usually get home until after 1am. Last night it was after 3am, so it gets lonely.

Funding: Getting there. God is being faithful. I am currently at 71% which allows me to be on campus 16 hours a week. Please continue to pray for my funding.

On a personal note. I have really felt like I have gotten into a routine lately, with campus ministry, fund development, and yes, cleaning a house. Cleaning the house has been a big one. I love love love a clean house, but it gets sooo messy so quick. One thing that Jon and I have been doing is our 10 minute clean up before we go to bed. Basically when we wake up, our house is clean, and when it is clean, it is harder to mess up. I do need to get back into the habbit of working out and truly making that a priority in my life. Lately, it has been about a 20-30 minute/day priority, but I really want to make it real and get in shape. I have a pass to the gym, now just gotta use it. :)

No comments: