Friday, February 17, 2012

"That's Mine Mumma."

There are few words that make me cringe more than, "That's mine, mumma."

Though, I am glad that my 2 year old is "normal" and going through correct developmental stages, I cannot stand those words coming out of the mouth of my son.

Really?

That truck is yours?

The crackers are yours?

This house is yours?

Those clothes are yours?

That cup is yours?

That movie is yours?

Really? 

Because in all of your two year oldness, you have gotten a job, received a pay check and have purchased said truck/toy/food/drink/? Thank you for filling me in. I was not aware of what you did all day.

I was pretty sure that most of the things that he "owns" are actually from my bank account, or gifts. And the toys and clothes are definitely going to be used again by his future sibling, or given away to someone else.

And as I speak and mumble to no one and everyone, I am quickly convicted. The Lord is so good at pointing out my sin. When I say to him, "Sorry Lord. That is mine"

It's my house.

It's my relationship.

It's my job.

It's my time.

It's my money.

It's my decision.

And I see that loving father shaking His head in disappointment. Disappointed that His daughter does not understand that gifts that have been lavished on her. How His heart must hurt when I am so quickly to recognize myself and not Him. I imagine it being like Christmas morning, when He is so excited to give me a gift. It is perfectly wrapped, a gift that He has thought about, put time and energy into, so that He could lavish blessing on me. I open this wonderful gift and toss it aside. Or better yet, act like the gift was never from Him anyways. Act like I don't know who it is from, but if I had to take a guess, it was probably me. I probably saw the gift at a store and wrapped it for myself, because I knew I would like it.

Crazy right?

Indeed.

And it is not even the recognition, but what I do with these gifts.

Nothing is mine anyways. Everything is His. Jon, Caleb, the house, the cars, the bank accounts, even my time. It's all His. I have absolutely no right to decide how those are spent. It is all His to begin with.

Lord, teach me to self less. To give more time. To give more money. To give more of myself when it hurts. To be willing to let go for the sake the kingdom. Because it's Yours anyway.

And.....I leave you with some pictures...




1 comment:

Kelly said...

Good reminder. I had to laugh as 2 seconds after I read the first line of your post, my Caleb walks up to me, grabs the pillow next to me and says, "mine, momma". I had to laugh! ;)