Wednesday, August 31, 2011

I'm here, I'm really here, and my office is my car, and Jon's car, and the kitchen table and my actual office.

Just a bit of what has been going on lately.

A lot. It is New Student Outreach time, which is completely amazing and completely exhausting. It is difficult for me, because I don't enjoy all the New Student  stuff. I am not a big program person, I don't really enjoy meeting new people and I don't enjoy small talk. It is hard to be an introvert and act like an extrovert.

But I do it. I put on the faith, peace and joy that Jesus gives me. I lean into Him and lean onto His promise that He has called me to this campus for this season for His purposes and His glory. I can throw away my pleasures and my desires for the sake of the Gospel going forth on campus. On my own strength, not a chance, but living with joy in His strength.

What NSO has looked like this year.... (so far)....
-Chalking campus

-Follow up....going door to door getting to know students who may be interested in InterVarsity, interested in joining a small group, interested in learning more about God, etc.....

-Hosting a Welcome Tent, serving free hot dogs to any one who walked by, and of course starting spiritual conversations and inviting to InterVarsity

-Hosting a game night to get to know new folks better. I had so much fun at this, even though I hate games. I guess a few fun rounds of Spicey Uno and Catch Phrase can really convert me:)

-Emails. Texts. Emails. Texts. Emails. Texts. Emails. Texts.

-Training new small group leaders on how to lead inductive studies on campus. (insert giddy laugh, skips and jumps about how much I love my job).

-Jump into the book of Romans with said leaders.

-Briton Bash: Code for all of the student organizations on campus gather on the quad to promote their group. All students must attend Briton Bash if they want to eat:) We meet a lot of people who are looking for a Christian group and a lot of people who aren't. Those are the fun conversations:))

A few of my favorite God moments of NSO....(and conversations had) 


-A student comes to our table at Briton Bash--- "I am not a Christian. I am a  Buddhist from (asian country). I want to learn about God. Can I join? "

-Meeting a girl who has lived all over the world, and is really jaded by world religions. I asked if she would be interested in InterVaristy and she declined. As we talked, I told her that I am not surprised at her reaction, that the Jesus she has known about is not the Jesus I follow, and if I saw only what she saw I would be really turned off too. I asked her if she would like to meet and learn more about Jesus. She said yes:)

-We are meet SEVERAL international students that want to learn about who God is.

-One girl from an Asian country....In an airport from her country to here, she saw a Bible and decided to buy it. She thought it would be a good way to learn English and she could learn about God too. She asked one of the InterVaristy students if they could read it together.


So there you have it. An NSO run down if you will.

And now I am off to bed. Can't wait for Labor Day weekend. I can only live on 6 hours of sleep for so long, unlike my husband.

3 comments:

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

This is very, very exciting Kristin!!

Arlona said...

I like being updated on the ministry at Albion College. When life here on the farm slows down a little, maybe I can mix up some cookies for you.

Coll said...

Kristin, I think you may have the coolest job of anyone I know! The seeds you and your colleagues are sowing will turn into something amazing!