Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Foster Parent Spotlight: Amber

I  have received many questions and have heard lots of comments concerning foster care in the last few months. In attempts to process through them, take some action and give some understanding, I will be writing about different foster care topics. If you have a question, please share! 

Part of this series will include perspectives from former and current foster parents. Today's special guest: Amber. I have had the opportunity to be close friends with Amber for the past 5+ years. In the last year, I have watched her and her family turn from a family of 5, to a family of 8 through foster care. I have been blessed to see how God has used them through foster care:) 



1. How long have you been a foster parent? 6 months
2. What led you to foster care? Why are you a foster parent? a little boy who won over our hearts. We always knew we were open to taking in a child but just didn't know what avenue it would come in.
3. What has been most surprising? For us, that one child led to two which then led to three. I guess I am surprised that we now have a sibling group of 3.
4. What have you learned about yourself? I can do a lot on a little sleep. 
5. What have you learned about God? How have you experienced God as a foster parent? I have learned that the very hard is met with a very faithful God
6. What would your advice be to someone considering foster care? If someone is considering it then that means that their heart has been pricked and I would tell them to take each step as it comes. I would tell them that the system is flawed but that we are given a chance to be a voice for a child. My goal right now is to be a voice for three children who do not yet have one in this world. My goal is to love three children who were not being loved. My goal is to every day introduce and share Christ with these three children. I would also say that foster care is not for everyone. I believe it is a road that you can choose to take by God's direction and leading. Also I would advise them to get with others who are fostering. You need others that are in it too so you can bounce stuff off them or vent or just chat about what is going on.
7. What is your greatest need as a foster parent?Well, fostering can sometimes feel like a lonely thing. My greatest need has been and continues to be support from family and friends. I am fortunate that there are many families in our church that have fostered or are fostering. They have been a great wealth of support. Also support can come from others who are not fostering. Other people that have come along side and just been encouraging and giving with prayers, meals, babysitting, diapers and wipes.

No comments: